Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39]
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Sergey Kondratyev
Sergey Kondratyev
United Kingdom
New user
English
Looking for this Blu-Ray subtitling style guide Apr 27

Hello, everyone.

I'm new on this forum,
but I do hope those well-experienced subtitlers/captioners
who come here from time to time may be able to help me with what I'm looking for.

And I'm looking for the style guide of Blu-Ray subtitles which was wildly used for Universal Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Disney/Buena Vista (as well as content on Disney+) film releases up to approximately early 2023, before they decided to change the style for their subs (so ru
... See more
Hello, everyone.

I'm new on this forum,
who come here from time to time may be able to help me with what I'm looking for.

And I'm looking for the style guide of Blu-Ray subtitles which was wildly used for Universal Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Disney/Buena Vista (as well as content on Disney+) film releases up to approximately early 2023, before they decided to change the style for their subs (so rubbish, the new one, to my opinion).
Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

1. https://ibb.co/89VcxSF
2. https://ibb.co/cYPYvnn
3. https://ibb.co/kMtbQn0
4. https://ibb.co/QJ6zwkZ

Unfortunately, my try to find the company which might be responsible for doing subs in this style failed. I contacted SDI Media because I knew perfectly that Warner Bros got a contact with them for making subs in different languages for all stuff they release on Blu-Ray discs, but they gave categorical reply - this is not the style they used to work with; talking amongst the workmates here at Red Bee Media also went back with zero result - nobody has ever worked neither with this style nor on the projects for those mentioned above companies.

So, maybe somebody here, on this forum, ever got a chance to work for those big figures and using exactly that style for making subtitles.
It'd be great if you could share a copy of it (we all know the style guides aren't a classified information, because it doesn't disclose anything of a project you work on) for personal deep studying it and comparing its parts and recommendations with well known online BBC Subtitles Guidelines for iPlayer programmes.

Regards,
Sergey
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:00
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Apr 28

Sergey Kondratyev wrote:

Hello, everyone.

I'm new on this forum,

And I'm looking for the style guide of Blu-Ray subtitles which was wildly used for Universal Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Disney/Buena Vista (as well as content on Disney+) film releases up to approximately early 2023, before they decided to change the style for their subs (so rubbish, the new one, to my opinion).
Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

1. https://ibb.co/89VcxSF
2. https://ibb.co/cYPYvnn
3. https://ibb.co/kMtbQn0
4. https://ibb.co/QJ6zwkZ

Unfortunately, my try to find the company which might be responsible for doing subs in this style failed. I contacted SDI Media because I knew perfectly that Warner Bros got a contact with them for making subs in different languages for all stuff they release on Blu-Ray discs, but they gave categorical reply - this is not the style they used to work with; talking amongst the workmates here at Red Bee Media also went back with zero result - nobody has ever worked neither with this style nor on the projects for those mentioned above companies.

So, maybe somebody here, on this forum, ever got a chance to work for those big figures and using exactly that style for making subtitles.
It'd be great if you could share a copy of it (we all know the style guides aren't a classified information, because it doesn't disclose anything of a project you work on) for personal deep studying it and comparing its parts and recommendations with well known online BBC Subtitles Guidelines for iPlayer programmes.

Regards,
Sergey

Hi Sergey,

Hm, looks pretty generic, but at the same time this doesn't match any of the style guides I've worked with or had access to. As you said, this is likely the work of one specific company, and probably a large one, as they caption for at least a few biggest content producers. So, something like Iyuno, ZOO, TransPerfect, VSI or the like.

You could try a couple of things:
1. Find these movies in translation databases, see who did the translations, and ask those people which company they did it for.
- SUBTLE Base
- ATRAE Base de Datos (e.g. here is Coco)
- Le Big d'ATAA

2. Get a free one-month trial of IMDBPro and see whether the translation/captioning company is mentioned on the movie's page (this is a bit rare, but sometimes they are credited).

Sergey Kondratyev
Sergey Kondratyev
United Kingdom
New user
English
Looking for this Blu-Ray subtitling style guide (general reply) Apr 30

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hi Sergey,

Hm, looks pretty generic, but at the same time this doesn't match any of the style guides I've worked with or had access to. As you said, this is likely the work of one specific company, and probably a large one, as they caption for at least a few biggest content producers. So, something like Iyuno, ZOO, TransPerfect, VSI or the like.

You could try a couple of things:
1. Find these movies in translation databases, see who did the translations, and ask those people which company they did it for.
- SUBTLE Base
- ATRAE Base de Datos (e.g. here is Coco)
- Le Big d'ATAA

2. Get a free one-month trial of IMDBPro and see whether the translation/captioning company is mentioned on the movie's page (this is a bit rare, but sometimes they are credited).

Hi, Max.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Well, initially, I gave my thoughts on SDI Media (now Iyuno) as they do subs for Warner Bros stuff. Nah, it seems there's some different company that produce subs for Universal, Paramount and Disney. Thanks for suggesting the other names. At first, I'm going to try to send an email to Iyuno's HQ in California instead of bothering once more their UK department.

It's also a bit strange that Red Bee Media doesn't do subs for what BBC releases on Blu-ray discs (they, too, prefer that "mysterious" subtitling style XD), as we do subs for all their content on TV and iPlayer.

Fingers crossed, it's going to shine some light on it. For almost 14 years working in subtitling, I personally find that style of subs the best ever created, cos it's easy-catch for viewers and elegant in presentation, despite the fact it's monocoloured.

Again, thanks a lot for your advice, mate.

Regards,
Sergey

Max Deryagin

Dayang Norhamizah Awang Kamaludin
Dayang Norhamizah Awang Kamaludin
Malaysia
Local time: 01:00
English to Malay
+ ...
Target is EN, speaker is speaking EN, should I put subtitles for it? May 11

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting in the forums so I'm hoping someone would help me on this one.
And this is also the first time I'm encountering this in my subtitling experience.

Say if the target language is in English and the speaker in the video speaks in English, do I have to make subtitles for it as well?
I'm not sure if there is any style guide I could refer to for this one.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you in a
... See more
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting in the forums so I'm hoping someone would help me on this one.
And this is also the first time I'm encountering this in my subtitling experience.

Say if the target language is in English and the speaker in the video speaks in English, do I have to make subtitles for it as well?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:00
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- 12:22

Dayang Norhamizah Awang Kamaludin wrote:

Hello everyone,

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Hi Dayang,

Generally, you should subtitle foreign-language dialogue lines — i.e. those not in the original language of the video — only when they were meant to be understood by the original, source-language audience. For example, think of lines spoken in Na'vi in Avatar. Such dialogue will be almost always accompanied by burned-in subtitles added in post-production. Conversely, if the speech wasn't meant to be understood (e.g. magic incantations, alien communication, confused foreigner as in Lost in Translation), then you don't need to subtitle it, except for subtitles for the dead and hard of hearing where you will need to add a sound description like [speaking in Japanese].

It's important to add subtitles in such instances, even if it's in the same language, because a) the dialogue can be muffled, heavily accented or of poor quality, b) the viewer can decide to watch the video at low volume or in a loud place, and c) the viewer can be a language learner.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »